It was so good, it got me blogging again…
Next time, I’ll take a picture
Red Curry Red Lentil Stew with Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Kale & Fennel
1 onion, chopped
1 shallot, chopped
2 T canola, grapeseed, or olive oil
2 cups red lentils
1-1/2 t ground cumin
1 t curry powder
1 T Thai red curry paste
1 can coconut milk (I used light)
8 cups chicken stock (approx, start with 6 and add along the way…or water, veg stock)
juice of 1-1/2 lemons
1 sweet potato (pref red garnet), cubed
splash vegetable oil
2-3 cups chopped kale
1 small fennel bulb, sliced thin with a mandoline
3 T clarified butter
1 t cumin seeds
1 t garam masala
1 t mustard seeds
salt and pepper
1. Saute onion and shallots in 2T oil over med-low heat til softened. Add lentils, curry, cumin and red curry paste and stir until coated.
2. Add coconut milk and 6 cups of stock and bring to a boil. Turn down heat immediately to simmer. Stir every 10 minutes or so, for about 1-1/2 hours. Lentils should be broken down and mixture should be soupy. If it gets too thick, add more liquid.
3. While mixture’s cooking, heat oven to 400 degrees. Toss sweet potato with 1/2 t cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper (to taste) and roast about 20 minutes or until potatoes are just cooked through and browned, tossing once.
4. When lentils are cooked, add the juice of one lemon, the kale, fennel and roasted sweet potatoes. Adjust spices as needed. Cook another 10 minutes
5. Meanwhile, heat clarified butter over med high heat. When very hot, add cumin and mustard seeds and the garam masala. Fry for about 30 seconds, then add entire mixture to the lentil, vegetable stew and stir. Add the juice of the last 1/2 lemon and serve.